Friday, January 2, 2009

#2: Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams

As a teacher, I try to read a lot of the books I purchase for my classroom. Tunnels is a book I had heard about and finally got around to reading recently. Tunnels is the first book in a series. (Amazon says the second book comes out February 3 in the U.S.) It follows the life of Will Burrows, a 14-year old who lives with his family in London. Will's father is the curator of a seldom-visited local museum, while his mother is a shut-in who spends all of her time watching TV. Will is also very fanciful, leaving his younger sister to pick up the pieces, cooking and cleaning for the family.

One thing Will and his father have in common is a love of archaeology. The two of them dig tunnels beneath the city to look for artifacts. One day, Will's father disappears. As Will is looking for clues, he discovers a secret tunnel in the family's basement. Will decides he must go after his father, and brings along his friend Chester. Will and Chester find a mysterious underground society at the end of the tunnel. The people living there do not like people from the surface of the Earth, so they add difficulties to the search for Will's father.

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy novels, but I read through this one pretty quickly. The plot was easy to follow as the author included a lot of description and kept it moving with plenty of action sequences (although it did take a little while to set up the action). I will definitely be reading the next book (Deeper) when it comes out, and this is a book I will be recommending to some of my students who are stronger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment